The Liberty Lakes Condominium Association is located in the Village of Wauconda, Illinois, located on the western edge of Lake County, Illinois, and is a far northwestern suburb of the City of Chicago. Wauconda is surrounded by native wetlands, including the Wauconda Bog Nature Preserve (a National Natural Landmark), several forest preserves of the Lake County Forest Preserves, parks, walking paths, multi-use trails, as well as Bangs Lake, a 306-acre recreational lake. It’s small town appeal is friendly and welcoming, and offers unique shopping and dining experiences, as well as a historical business district.
In 2013, for the second year in a row, the Village of Wauconda is the proud recipient of the Daily Herald’s 2013 Readers’ Choice Award for “Best City/Town to Live”, and 24 Wauconda businesses, events, and organizations won the Daily Herald’s 2013 Readers’ Choice “Best of the Best” awards.
Our community is made up of 31 buildings and 156 single family townhome units, located off Gilmer Road, just north of historic downtown Wauconda, and southeast of US Route 12 and IL Route 120.
Traditions say that Wauconda was named for an Indian chief by that name (originally spelled “Wakanda”), who is buried somewhere on the southern bank of Bangs Lake, where the town hall was later built. The word translated from its Indian language means “Spirit Water”.
In 1836, Elihu Hubbard built a log cabin on the bank of the lake. In 1848, Justus Bangs, the first settler, built a home where the town hall now stands, and it was for him the lake was named. Wauconda was organized in 1849, and the first town meeting was held the first Tuesday in April, 1850. The population of Wauconda in 1850 was 200, and the town had 3 goods stores, 2 public houses, and various mechanics.
A petition dated July 19, 1877 was presented to the Honorable John L. Turner, County Judge of Lake County, on July 28, 1877; requesting that a described section of territory within the Town of Wauconda be incorporated as a Village, to be known as the Village of Wauconda. The 1st meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Village of Wauconda was held on September 24, 1877, at the office of a Justice and selected a President and a Clerk.
You can learn more about the history of Wauconda from the Wauconda Township Historical Society.